Open until a sufficient number of applicants are received
The program specialist will be working with NOAA Ocean Acidification Program (OAP) to provide interagency affairs capacity in support of NOAA’s requirements under the Federal Ocean Acidification Research & Monitoring Act (FOARAM Act) and the Coordinated Ocean Observations and Research Act of 2020 Act (ICOOS Act).
- Lead the drafting of congressionally mandated reporting requirements under FOARAM which include biennial reports on federal agency ocean acidification activities, the formulation of a strategic plan every 5 years and tracking agency progress against the strategic plan. The program specialist will also provide oversight of the OAP sponsored OA Information Exchange project called for under the FOARAM Act.
- In response to passage of the Coordinated Ocean Observations and Research Act, the program specialist will be charged with formulating responses to OAP requirements. This will likely call for two new interagency reports including one on economic vulnerability to OA and another on monitoring prioritization within two years of passage of the act.
- Provide staffing support to the NOAA Chair for the Ocean Acidification Interagency Working Group (IWG-OA). This will involve handling meeting logistics including at least one in person convening of the principles per year (COVID permitting), recruitment and coordination of agency representatives, and ensuring adherence to the Subcommittee on Ocean Science and Technology (SOST) requirements.
- Responds to data calls and taskers relevant to congressional affairs and serve as the liaison between the OAP and the OAR Congressional Affairs Office.
- Represent the OAP on a number of interagency working groups including with the USGCRP particular in cases where the program mission space intersects and where OA science can inform national assessments.
- Other special projects will also be engaged on an as needed basis in support of IWG-OA activities including shepherding an interagency plan for Certified Reference Material production.
This position will be located at the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration Silver Spring Metro Center, in Silver Spring , MD.
Applications accepted until a sufficient number are received. More info here